Insurance Claims

Working with your insurance company.

Whether it be hail, sleet, wind or heavy rain, storm damage can life and effectiveness of our roof, siding, gutters or windows. Don't wait to file an insurance claim. Start the process today by contacting your agent or company .

What to do after the stormWorking with insurance companies with storm damage to your house

  • Call your insurance agent or insurance company and provide a description of your damage.  Once your loss is reported, an insurance company adjuster will contact you to inspect the damage. 

  • Take photos of the damaged areas. Pictures can be valuable if any questions arise during the claims process.

  • Prepare a detailed inventory of all damaged or destroyed personal property. Be sure to make two copies — one for yourself and one for the adjuster. Your list should be as complete as possible, including a description of the items, dates of purchase or approximate age, cost at time of purchase and estimated replacement cost.

  • Make temporary repairs to prevent further damage - cover broken windows, damaged roofs, etc. Keep track of supplies and materials you purchase.  Your insurance company will reimburse you for reasonable expenses in making temporary repairs.

  • Do not have permanent repairs made until your insurance company has inspected the property and you have reached an agreement on the cost of repairs. An insurance company may deny a claim if you make permanent repairs before the damage is inspected.

  • Contact Elk River Exteriors for a detailed estimate for permanent repairs and give it to the adjuster. 

How long does it take?

  • It will take time to process the many damage claims that will be filed. If your home has been destroyed or seriously damaged, your agent should see that you are given priority.

  • Minnesota law dictates that companies must handle claims in a responsive manner. However, companies are allowed up to 60 days to respond to some issues. Most companies will respond to most of your concerns or problems within a day or two. 

  • You can avoid many of the problems that can be experienced in the removal of the debris and the rebuilding process by making sure that you coordinate closely with the company adjuster. 

If you need assistance

  • First, contact your insurance company with questions about your policy and coverage.

  • If you have claim filing questions or problems you can contact the Minnesota Department of Commerce Consumer Response Team (651) 296-2488 or 800-657-3602. The CRT helps consumers with questions about insurance laws. In addition, if there is a dispute with an insurance company, agent, or adjuster, the CRT will attempt to resolve the matter informally. If the dispute cannot be resolved, the CRT will suggest filing a written complaint, including all relevant information. The written complaint will trigger a formal investigation to determine whether the company is in compliance with Minnesota law.

  • The National Association of Insurance Commissioners has a consumer alert How to be Claim Smart at . The Insurance Information Institute has also prepared a free brochure, Settling An Insurance Claim After A Disaster at .